Thursday, December 6, 2007

Ch Ch Ch Ch Changes - Turn And Face The Strain

Let me say this up front:
I am a fan of Saku Koivu.
I have been a fan of his on ice exploits over the years
and a bigger fan of his off ice magic that has helped so many.
However, now might be the time.
In listening to Pierre McGuire with Melnick last week, I was struck by Pierre's comments about the machinations of a trade in the NHL.
To paraphrase:
It has to be an eye opener, something that will make the room feel a shock.
Safe to say you know where I'm going with this.

It's not just a lack of production (One five on five goal),
It's leadership, the future of this team's leadership.
Christopher Higgins & Mike Komisarek are the future in that area,
you can hear it from Higgins and it leaves one to wonder
what we'd be hearing if he didn't have Koivu standing in his way.

It's not about 3 losses in a row or 5 losses in 6 games or whatever the latest is.
It's about the future.
Maybe not today, maybe not next week but it is inevitable.


NEXT !
Guy Carbonneau !
Get off this Guy's back will ya.
Especially you people who picked this team to miss the playoffs.
Right now he's doing better than you did.
It's his ass on the line.
If you're wrong, you'll just predict again until you get it right.
If he's wrong, he'll get fired.
I don't think there's a coach in the NHL who's moves you would agree with 100% of the time,
up until this point, I think he's done pretty well with what he was given.
Which brings us to:

BOB GAINEY !!!

I wasn't impressed when he went out and spent his money on Brian Smolinski, Tom Kostopoulis and Patrice Brisebois.
If this team was going to play as I suspected..(and early on I must admit they've done better)
than they would be better served letting the kids get used to the NHL.
They underestimated Kyle Chipchura, sent Ryan O'Byrne & Maxim Lapierre to the minors,
and made a forward of a bad contract in Mathieu Dandenault.
AND as I said last summer, I would have traded Cristobal Huet.
Price and Halak.
Let the kids learn up here...All of them.
Another Kostitsyn anyone ?

No comments: